*ALL* college journalism students are welcome to attend an Associated Press Managing Editors panel and networking event at SMU this Friday, March 30, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. in Room 283 of the Umphrey Lee Center, 3300 Dyer Street. Don’t miss this rare opportunity to interact with some of Texas’ most powerful news bosses!
The first hour will be a panel Q&A discussion focusing on how to get that first job. Speakers will talk about what qualities they look for in new hires, skill sets needed, courses to take, etc. The second hour will be one-on-one sessions with each of the panelists — students can show résumés, clips, reels, etc. and gain feedback. Participants include:
- Leona Allen, deputy managing editor/local news, The Dallas Morning News
- Brian Pearson, managing editor, Tyler Morning Telegraph
- Kelly Brown, managing editor, The Eagle, Bryan-College Station
- Dino Chiecchi, Spanish publications editor, San Antonio Express-News
- Debbie Hiott, editor, Austin American-Statesman
- Mauro Diaz, recruiter, espn.com/Dallas
- Brandi Grissom, managing editor of the Texas Tribune
Please RSVP to Lisa Goodson at lisag(at)smu.edu.